Friday, August 25, 2017

The Hill -- Bannon: I'm going to 'light up' McConnell


From The Hill’s John Bowden:

Former White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon says he's planning to ramp up pressure on political opponents while continuing to advocate a nationalist agenda.

Bannon told The Economist in an interview published Friday that he is going to "light up" Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), warning that his ability to fight back has only grown since returning to the far-right website Breitbart.

 "Mitch McConnell, I'm going to light him up," Bannon said, adding he was also focused on opponents such as China and "the elites in Silicon Valley and Wall Street."

"In the White House, I had influence," he said. "At Breitbart, I had power."

The former top aide to President Trump also pushed back on news reports that the right-wing website would target his former boss.

"We will never turn on him. But we are never going to let him take a decision that hurts him," Bannon said.

Bannon argued that he was ousted from the White House because he is an "ideologue." Bannon maintains he voluntarily resigned, The Economist noted.

"I am an ideologue, that's why I am out," Bannon told the outlet. "I can rally the base, have his back. The harder he pushes, the more we will be there for him."


By John Bowden