Friday, August 18, 2017

ABC -- Charlottesville victim’s mother says, 'I’m not talking to the president now after what he said' (VIDEO)


(Proud Mother Says 
Charlottesville Victim Heather Heyer 
'Was About Stopping Hatred' | Common Dreams)




By Sabina Ghebremedhin, Kelly Mckelvey, 
Catherine Thorbecke  



The mother of Heather Heyer, the woman killed Saturday when a car rammed into a crowd of counter-protesters at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, said she "will not" speak with President Donald Trump in the wake of her daughter's death.

“I have not and now I will not,” Susan Bro said in an interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts today on “Good Morning America,” adding that she believes the first phone call to her from the White House came during her daughter’s public memorial service on Wednesday.

“The first call, it looked like actually came during the funeral. I didn’t even see that message,” said Bro. “There were three more frantic messages from press secretaries throughout the day and I didn’t know why.”

Bro, who had thanked Trump in a statement on Monday for his "words of comfort and for denouncing those who promote violence and hatred,” said she was recovering from the exhaustion of the funeral Wednesday and did not return the White House messages.

She said her opinion of Trump’s response changed after she had time to watch news coverage of the Charlottesville protests after laying Heyer, 32, to rest on Wednesday.

"I hadn’t really watched the news until last night and I’m not talking to the president now, after what he said," Bro explained. "It’s not that I saw somebody else’s tweets about him, I saw an actual clip of him at a press conference equating the protesters ... with the KKK and the white supremacists."

She continued, "You can’t wash this one away by shaking my hand and saying, ‘I’m sorry.’ I’m not forgiving for that."