Monday, April 27, 2009

Guns don’t kill people, people do

a
My reaction to an email I received today regarding the Columbine High School shootings.

It does not matter what may be your particular definition of God, Darrell Scott’s message “hit the nail on the head.” He said, “… Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room [he was speaking to members of the House Judiciary Committee’s subcommittee on crime hearings on “Pending Firearms Legislation and the Administration’s Enforcement of Current Gun Laws, May 27, 1999].”

I say, all of the real blame belongs on Americans who don’t understand that we cannot look for a God outside of ourselves for solutions to our problems, but into our hearts, our souls, our consciousness, into the inner-world of oneself, for in there lies the reason and the solution to all things. If you believe in God that is what God gave us in order to sort these things out.

Darrel said, "In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death.”

Well Darrel, I disagree, they and as an extension we are responsible. I have owned guns, I was a hunter, I have had weapons training in the military, and I can tell you guns serve one fundamental purpose and that is to kill. Some are designed for target shooting, some are designed to kill animals, and others are designed to kill human beings. The memberships of the NRA are human beings, and their attitudes, beliefs, and sensitivities are seriously misplaced. When you support, defend, and allow weapons that are designed to kill human beings, as opposed to designed for target shooting or if you prefer hunt, particularly when you support the sale and use of guns without regulation, you are simply morally wrong, and when so many of those NRA members and hunters say, “guns don’t kill people, people do,” of course people do that is exactly the point.
a