Sunday, January 25, 2009

New Ways of thinking: Checking our moral compass

Atlas Shrugged': From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years
By Stephen Moore

I get a big kick out of all these folks, like Stephen Moore, who do not give or promote real viable remedies. All they do, at least from what I have read, is to be critical and tell all of us about their ideology: the in-and-out of libertarianism, conservatism, or, in this case, the ideology of an Ayn Rand.

This philosophy is what has got us in trouble in the first place: capitalism, elitism and completely free markets without boundaries.

Now I am a libertarian-leaning thinker, I do believe in the preeminence of the individual – not just the elite. I also know that there must be, in our zeitgeist -- in some future world it may not be the case -- boundaries and regulation, albeit as minimal as possible, within which the folks who do have the where-with-all with power and control must operate.

Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged is all about those things that are unacceptable and immoral, at least in my mind. Both from a free market-capitalist and an interaction of government point of view the political insights she has hyperbolically expressed, to an extent, might be true,

Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, Stephen Moore’s book and article are all about avarice and elitism.

I don’t have the answer, either. But I do know that we in the United States and in the World, in government and as a people, must in the most profound way check our moral compass.

These ideologies just don’t “cut the mustard” with me.